Tuesday 20 August 2013

ASANA WORKSHOP: Jump Back Practice ... Oh Yah!

I thought I'd share some tips for creating your own jump back to chatarunga home practice session to build strength and coordination. I try to do this once or twice a week when my wrists allow. Unfortunately, I don't do a 5-6 day a week ashtanga practice to build strength and lift only in that way as the lovely teacher in the "Finding Your Lift" workshop did. I find without that dedicated 6-day practice, and probably even if I did, I must do extra homework in order to make the impossible possible for me. Definitely gotta get more consistent with this, cause I WANNA DO IT! I'm an ashtanga crim! Yowza!:

Here's a great vid of the wonderful Maria showing a breakdown of the motions for the full jump back in slow-mo. It's her version of slow-mo! She's slowing it down herself NOT the video. SNAP!


To Practice Cultivating This Type of Strength I:


 

Practice HOLDING for a number of reps and breathes:
1. Sitting in a tight tuck with shins crossed hold knees as tight as you can to chest and feet as tight as you can to sitbones. Without using arms of course. The arms should be extended in front like the beginning position of the top video. In fact your working towards holding a delicious tuck like that beginning position. Hold, hold, hold! Shewf!
2. Lolasana holds: blocks are your BF here. But notice I didn't add the extra F as eventually ya just gotta to let them GOoooo!:
    • with both feet on floor
    • with one foot off floor
    • with BOTH feet off floor — Oooh yah, I said that right! Here's a great example of a pseudo-lolasana hold for core, lats, deltoid, hip flexor and leg strengthener from the divine, omnipresently giving, Kino:


    • then the pièce de résistance: with both arms bent and feet off floor! SNAP!

P.S. I got all this info from my many youtube sightings, blog readings, the wonderful workshop and from Maria herself. The lovely Maria Villella has an awesome practice video for this and more. Which I have and covet! Check it out at www.yogiclife.com/store and you can visit her at www.mariavillella.com.

Practice and all is a-coming!


No comments:

Post a Comment